After You, Who Will Be The Next James Bond?

33 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
No Idea myself. Do you have any nominations?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-59038089
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691426].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman. Please don't let it be a woman.
      I think I finally grasped your opinion though it took a while to fully understand. "The Names Bond, Jane Bond"

We said that about Dr Who and look where that got us. Together with her and writer Chibnall's most appalling, stupid, and overly feministic scripts, this show is experiencing the worst ratings ever. However, it ends in the not too distant future with her and him and rumor has it that the original writer is coming back. Perhaps Daniel Craig will become the new doctor.
      Signature

Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691437].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom

I think I finally grasped your opinion though it took a while to fully understand. "The Names Bond, Jane Bond"

We said that about Dr Who and look where that got us. Together with her and writer Chibnall's most appalling, stupid, and overly feministic scripts, this show is experiencing the worst ratings ever. However, it ends in the not too distant future with her and him and rumor has it that the original writer is coming back. Perhaps Daniel Craig will become the new doctor.
        Douglas Adams, wrote the best story's for Doctor Who, overall, usually for the best Doctor, Tom Baker.

And the story's were more linear, or they didn't have him his supposed wife, (don't go there) and others appearing all over the ...timeline to give you more of a headache than Back to The Future 2.

Modern day, they just make up some new, scary creature, and base the whole story about don't think this or breath that or do this, or ooooh.

I haven't wasted my time with modern Doctor Who,s, for years, and will continue the tradition.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691439].message }}
          Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

Douglas Adams, wrote the best story's for Doctor Who, overall, usually for the best Doctor, Tom Adams.

And the story's were more linear, or they didn't have him his supposed wife, (don't go there) and others appearing all over the ...timeline to give you more of a headache than Back to The Future 2.

Modern day, they just make up some new, scary creature, and base the whole story about don't think this or breath that or do this, or ooooh.

I haven't wasted my time with modern Doctor Who,s, for years, and will continue the tradition.
          There was never an actor who played the doctor called Tom Adams. A Tom Adams played a brief role as Vorshak in the tv show in an episode called Warriors Of The Deep in 2014.
          Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691440].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh

It's almost 2022 the James can be applied to a woman well a female bond can still be as much of a womanizer as a traditional male bond. That is the only way to make a female bond work
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691470].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
          Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

It's almost 2022 the James can be applied to a woman well a female bond can still be as much of a womanizer as a traditional male bond. That is the only way to make a female bond work
          If you want a female super spy, create a new character.

Let's stop "re-imagining" existing, established characters to fit whatever social paradigm is currently in fashion.

Why can't James Bond simply be as the creator intended? Why is that so bad?

Again, if one is concerned about representation, create a character and see if there's a market for it. Don't steal an existing market and ruin it out of spite.

If James Bond has run his course and his antics are no longer socially acceptable, let him die a dignified death.
          Signature

Raising a child is akin to knowing you're getting fired in 18 years and having to train your replacement without actively sabotaging them.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691480].message }}
            Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

My reason for not wanting a female (or any variation thereof) is strictly that I know that it would kill the franchise.

Bond is a womanizing sociopath who allows men to live out their power fantasies, and it allows women to have their own fantasies.

Why did casting Daniel Craig re-energize Bond?

Because they had got away from the appeal the character had in the first place.

Was Sean Connery funny as Bond? No. He was brutal.

Maybe today, a James Bond wouldn't get away with slapping women around, or forcing himself on them...

But if he (or she) starts talking about their feelings....the audiences will rebel.

You can make James Bond black and keep the appeal (Edris Elba would be perfect casting, I think). You could make him a blond. You could even make him deaf.

But if you make him a woman, or gay....90% of the audience will stop watching.

And...if you haven't noticed by now, the audience for Bond movies is aging. Teenagers aren't going to see the Bond movies.
            Signature

What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691488].message }}

My reason for not wanting a female (or any variation thereof) is strictly that I know that it would kill the franchise.

Bond is a womanizing sociopath who allows men to live out their power fantasies, and it allows women to have their own fantasies.

Why did casting Daniel Craig re-energize Bond?

Because they had got away from the appeal the character had in the first place.

Was Sean Connery funny as Bond? No. He was brutal.

Maybe today, a James Bond wouldn't get away with slapping women around, or forcing himself on them...

But if he (or she) starts talking about their feelings....the audiences will rebel.

You can make James Bond black and keep the appeal (Edris Elba would be perfect casting, I think). You could make him a blond. You could even make him deaf.

But if you make him a woman, or gay....90% of the audience will stop watching.

And...if you haven't noticed by now, the audience for Bond movies is aging. Teenagers aren't going to see the Bond movies.
              All I can say to that is: Roger Moore, please explain.
              Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691493].message }}

Roger Moore was funny. Maybe Witty is a better word.

The Bond movies were going through a "Bond enemy with secret island full of women, and giant death ray" phase.

Moore was perfect as a womanizing handsome secret agent.
                He still killed people, and as ruthless. He was just funnier, and the plots were more ridiculous than normal.

Moore was given lines that he could deliver perfectly. The other actors weren't able to be witty like Moore. But the essence of the character remained.

Those are opinions. Just opinions..
                Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691602].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan

Roger Moore was originally offered the role (before Connery) but turned it down as he'd already committed himself to The Saint TV show. I'm pretty sure if he'd accepted it then, the franchise wouldn't have lasted beyond the 1960s.

Moore was bland. While that might have allowed anyone to impose their own fantasies on the character, he would always have been overshadowed by the gadgets and the villains.

Bond is a product very much of its time. The Daniel Craig updates were essentially reworkings of the original stories. Reimagining those stories with a radically different lead character would be like altering history.

There's definitely scope for a female agent, but it would have to take place now and deal with today's world. It just wouldn't be James Bond.
                Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691603].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Odahh

Let's stop "re-imagining" existing, established characters to fit whatever social paradigm is currently in fashion.

Again, if one is concerned about representation, create a character and see if there's a market for it. Don't steal an existing market and ruin it out of spite.

If James Bond has run his course and his antics are no longer socially acceptable, let him die a dignified death.
            I don't care one way or the other I have never gone to a theater to watch a bond movie or rented a bond movie I watched the first few mission impossible movies in theaters and the original born movies.

Post Cold War bond movies where not that interesting to me.

And to add for fun the woke crowd doesn't understand that actors are playing a role and would get more upset if the female James Bond was playing the role of a womanizer on screen while being straight in real life. At most being willing to kiss other women.

So a female James Bond makes no one happy.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691504].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author socialentry

[Link removed by Modrator]
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691505].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DABK
            And stop being lazy? Take a risk? Perish the thought!

I recently had a conversation with a couple of 20-year olds. THEY are tired of all the remakes, re-imagining!

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792677].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Both Madden and Page have 'the look' in my opinion.....

I agree with claude but would also add....
    please don't let it be a man who used to be a woman....

When it comes to james bond - my guess is woke would go broke.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    It actually doesn't take much to be considered a 'difficult woman' -
    that's why there are so many of us.
    ...jane goodall
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Profit Traveler
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

Both Madden and Page have 'the look' in my opinion.....

I agree with claude but would also add....
      please don't let it be a man who used to be a woman....

When it comes to james bond - my guess is woke would go broke.

Let's take everyones money but only represent a portion.

The hell with all little kids having role models that look like them.

But....others can be Ghandi, Tarzan, Moses, Jesus, Aliens in tights and a cape.

The lone ranger was Bass Reeves.

Bruce Lee was turned down for a TV series featuring a Wandering Chinaman called Kung Fu..a white guy was chosen. How far have we come.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11706914].message }}

A gold watch?

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    No clue, but I won't like whoever is chosen for no other reason than I'm getting old and no longer like change.
    Signature

Raising a child is akin to knowing you're getting fired in 18 years and having to train your replacement without actively sabotaging them.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    There is no way a female Bond works...it would be such an obvious attempt at wokeness...

A woman could carry a series like that - but it would need to be a new concept, new story line.

My all time award for best 'tough guy girl' was Kill Bill...I and II
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    It actually doesn't take much to be considered a 'difficult woman' -
    that's why there are so many of us.
    ...jane goodall
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691473].message }}
  • I would want always to be shaken & stirred at the same time.

Howevah, this don't work out too good with the whole Sneakily Silent Espionage deal.

Plus also, any wearable 'gadgets' Q might wanna construct for Moi would generate an irritatin' background hum gonna distract evrywan when I incinerate villains with flamethrowah stuffs fired outta my boobies.

As a fellow J.B., I have sum affinity with the vibe, I guess.
    Signature

Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691483].message }}
    Back in the 60's there was a service where you could have your name plastered in large print at the bottom of a poster of your choice. A bit of nifty and quick typesetting with raised type. It was, while you wait. My uncle chose a James Bond one.

So it read something like: James Bond, 007 is back in his latest Cliff Hanging adventure, Diamonds Are Forever (or whatever)

Then it read at the bottom of the poster. Starring:

ROY PLATT

Great, dynamic actor name, not, always made me chuckle.
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ian Jackson
    Like anything and everything else it interferes with, Political Correctness will kill the 007 Brand
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11691931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillFairfax89
    I agree that Agent 007 as a white heterosexual man with his clear masculinity is completely out of place in the modern world with its cancel culture, feminism,BLM and anti-harassment. Either his character will be completely remade according to the new requirements and it will be a completely different hero, having nothing to do with his canonical version, or we just saw the sad finale of the whole franchise that lived for almost 60 years...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11695650].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    The last Bond movie was awesome I would like to audition for the roll of Bond
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11701886].message }}
      Originally Posted by DURABLEOILCOM View Post

The last Bond movie was awesome I would like to audition for the roll of Bond
      I would have thought auditioning for the "Roll" of Bond would be more Whitacre's domain.
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11701899].message }}
  • I have no clue. Maybe an actor with a good-looking face will be chosen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11702203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DannyVento
    I think Daniel was the best in this role. I can't imagine anybody else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11705593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashtondunhill
    How about Divine

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11706895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    Me i am the classic man who dont like change and i dont have a clue but for sure i will not like more the new james bond compared to the old one
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11706918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PrimeADS
    According to British bookmaker William Hill, Damian Lewis (3 to 1) or Idris Elba (5 to 2) will most likely play James Bond next. The other three candidates are Tom Hardy (4 to 1), Henry Cavill (5 to 1) and Michael Fassbender (7 to 1).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707343].message }}
      Originally Posted by PrimeADS View Post

According to British bookmaker William Hill, Damian Lewis (3 to 1) or Idris Elba (5 to 2) will most likely play James Bond next. The other three candidates are Tom Hardy (4 to 1), Henry Cavill (5 to 1) and Michael Fassbender (7 to 1).
      I think any of them would be good in the role.
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792695].message }}

I think any of them would be good in the role.
        Answering posts from 2022 I see.

Henry Cavil would make a great Bond. His hairline is a little suspect but Shaun Connery wore a wig from 1964 onwards. Superbond.
        Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nimra21
    Being a huge james bond fan, I think there ever will be only 1 james bond
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792671].message }}
    At least the James Bond franchise is discerning, (Doctor Who is a mess, l am expecting a cross dressing transvestite to play his role in the next decade)?

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbrewingcompany
    Banned
    However, according to the BBC article you provided, there has been a hypothesis and dialogue about achievable actors who may want to take on the position of James Bond after Daniel Craig. Some names that have been recommended consist of Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Henry Cavill, and James Norton. Ultimately, the choice for the subsequent James Bond will be made by the producers and casting administrators worried about the franchise.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792900].message }}

Trending Topics