Why Are You Broke Still?

by max5ty
31 replies
We've got more courses and more blog posts and more marketing expertise than ever out there these days.

We've been told what works to get clients...

why aren't you getting wealthy?

Why isn't your product making a gazillion dollars?

What are you doing wrong?

Post what you're doing and I'll give you my expert advice on what to do better.

I'll give you a couple of paragraphs on how to improve it.

Edit: After 40 years in copywriting, I'll give you a free review that would probably cost you hundreds or thousands to have someone look at your stuff. I'll do it for free with no strings attached.
#broke
  • Learning the art of copywriting is relatively quick and easy (ok it needs a full on bash of effort and practise).

If you've achieved these wondrous heights and discover you're broke - one crucial thing is capsizing.

You are NOT prospecting anything like enough to your preferred and chosen clients.

Really Really, Really - ramp this up and you'll soon be giving the keys back to the poor house.

Just make sure your prospecting pitch is irresistibly top notch.

Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792667].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author max5ty
      Originally Posted by Steve The Copywriter View Post

Just make sure your prospecting pitch is irresistibly top notch.

Steve
      I'm sure I'm probably not alone when I say this...

I'll see an ad on T.V. or while driving and start thinking of how the ad or sign should have been written to make it better.

I'll think they should have said this or they should have said that...or they should have...

there are some things people do that never cease to be a learning experience, and Copywriting I believe is one of those.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792678].message }}
      • Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

I'll see an ad on T.V. or while driving and start thinking of how the ad or sign should have been written to make it better.

I'll think they should have said this or they should have said that...or they should have...

there are some things people do that never cease to be a learning experience, and Copywriting I believe is one of those.

And the proprietors of these Ads are in the top tier to propel your copywriting prowess to.

Because the prospect advertises (which is a huge help).

There is absolutely no shortage of them.

They aren't getting the response they should.

And you can enlighten them.

Don't start by giving out all the immense "improvements" in one go (in case some rascals try and leg it off on a failed DIY mission).

Give a couple of gems, and say you have many more vital "outstanding revenue raising" golden nuggets of wonderment (but they'll only work with true expertise, which very fortuitously after great "tried, tested and proven" study you possess).

The "good" prospects will want to speak in depth to you on the hurry up.

My experience in all this -

On the downside -

Many prospects are forever diehards and regardless of your esteemed money making knowledge - they won't ever listen to reason. No matter what, they'll say,"They know exactly how to advertise and don't need anybody's help thankyouverymuch."

There's no shortage of these - which is why high volume, intense, (and despite the problems) exquisitely empathetic prospecting is critical for your success.

Others use an Ad Agency who'll go into a huge huff if it's suggested they could dramatically "improve" the Ads (so often they are trying to be "creative" in order to swan about at the Awards gigs hoping they might win one).

And the Marketing Manager, CEO etc. feel that an Ad Campaigns success is greatly governed by any Awards they pick up.

In fairness some Agencies will appreciate your "advanced" skills and the compensation can be very worthwhile.

If your dream is to work for an Agency, you could just prospect directly to them.

One the upside (if you prefer being a freelancer).

Prospects can be deliriously delighted with "let's make and keep your Ads incredibly more responsive and revelling in revenues."

And welcome you aboard the rescue ship.

You'll usually get a first class cabin.

Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792799].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DABK
          You forgot those who take your copy, give it to their nephew to improve, run the improved ad, which does not perform, then blame you.

I met a couple of those.

They were not my clients: I heard the story early on and met the nephews.

And the proprietors of these Ads are in the top tier to propel your copywriting prowess to.

Don't start by giving out all the immense "improvements" in one go (in case some rascals try and leg it off on a failed DIY mission).

Give a couple of gems, and say you have many more vital "outstanding revenue raising" golden nuggets of wonderment (but they'll only work with true expertise, which very fortuitously after great "tried, tested and proven" study you possess).

On the downside -

Many prospects are forever diehards and regardless of your esteemed money making knowledge - they won't ever listen to reason. No matter what, they'll say,"They know exactly how to advertise and don't need anybody's help thankyouverymuch."

There's no shortage of these - which is why high volume, intense, (and despite the problems) exquisitely empathetic prospecting is critical for your success.

Others use an Ad Agency who'll go into a huge huff if it's suggested they could dramatically "improve" the Ads (so often they are trying to be "creative" in order to swan about at the Awards gigs hoping they might win one).

And the Marketing Manager, CEO etc. feel that an Ad Campaigns success is greatly governed by any Awards they pick up.

In fairness some Agencies will appreciate your "advanced" skills and compensation can be very worthwhile.

If your dream is to work for an Agency, you could just prospect directly to them.

Prospects can be deliriously delighted with "let's make and keep your Ads incredibly more responsive and revelling in revenues."

Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792806].message }}
          • Originally Posted by DABK View Post

You forgot those who take your copy, give it to their nephew to improve, run the improved ad, which does not perform, then blame you.

I met a couple of those.

They were not my clients: I heard the story early on and met the nephews.

DABK,

Yes, I should have mentioned it.

The clients wife, husband, partner, relations, the 9th cousin twice removed may well have a bash at decimating an enhanced revenue creating Ad.

Would be no surprise if the clients dog chewed up the copy it didn't like.

I need to take a deep breath and realize they were "trying" to assist. And diplomatically point out the difficulties.

Worse than the relatives (and dog) are "Copywriting Committees" - when everybody in the client's organisation suddenly believes they can write extraordinary copy.

Again, it takes extraordinary patience, tact and tolerance to put things right.

Steve
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792818].message }}
            • Some might be pondering who's going to make such a fuss when an Ad is obviously good and designed to get a riveting response.

Here are the main arguments that many clients will come up with.

"The "Offer" is way too good"

"The Ad is far too long"

"And it's overly colloquial and friendly"

"We don't need so many testimonials"

"Nor do we need to have any limit or scarcity timings"

"The free stuff is over the top"

"The long guarantee is ridiculous"

"The "no weaseling" refund policy is unnecessary"

"And why should we bother to improve the product/service in all the ways you suggest"

There are many more objections...

But if you have "bullet proof" answers to the above it does help pacify the clients.

And if all goes well they can reap the rewards.

Steve
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792839].message }}
              • Originally Posted by Steve The Copywriter View Post

Some might be pondering who's going to make such a fuss when an Ad is obviously good and designed to get a riveting response.

Here are the main arguments that many clients will come up with.

"The "Offer" is way too good"

"The Ad is far too long"

"And it's overly colloquial and friendly"

"We don't need so many testimonials"

"Nor do we need to have any limit or scarcity timings"

"The free stuff is over the top"

"The long guarantee is ridiculous"

"The "no weaseling" refund policy is unnecessary"

"And why should we bother to improve the product/service in all the ways you suggest"

There are many more objections...

But if you have "bullet proof" answers to the above it does help pacify the clients.

And if all goes well they can reap the rewards.

Steve
                "Yeah so our new Vegan health drink boosts yr kid's IQ, helps granma stay supple, and guards against most contact germs and insects if you spray it direct to your flesh with our trademark applicator ...

SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, MS COPYWRITER?

DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO WRITE ABOUT SH*T???"
                Signature

Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792876].message }}
                • Yea,

The client would go vitriolic with my version of this Ad.

I would say it kills 99.9% of germs (of course with conclusive scientific testing and evidence).

And insist they offer a free mallet to whack the other 0.1%.

Steve
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792909].message }}

Yea,

The client would go vitriolic with my version of this Ad.

I would say it kills 99.9% of germs (of course with conclusive scientific testing and evidence).

And insist they offer a free mallet to whack the other 0.1%.

Steve
                    The mallet is a nice touch...

but, I think the real message I'd go with from her ad is: "helps granma stay supple"

Imagine the grandpas that this could excite?

Then again it sounds like a prevention...so I'd reword it to sound like a cure...

'get gramma supple again'

The question would be if we could get enough grandpas excited enough to buy this (and possibly some grandmas) haha.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792916].message }}
                    • Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

'get gramma supple again'

The question would be if we could get enough grandpas excited enough to buy this (and possibly some grandmas) haha.
                      Git granma so supple she drools propah.

FFS prolly she gaht sumthin' else more smart gowin' on.

"Your mother informs me you cavort like a brazen hussy of unadulterated brilliance in a world beyond my proto-rotting comprehension," says Granma.

"So can you simply get on with it between thuttwhowathya both without involving me personally, because I have far more important things to be carrying on with."

Gotta love the perpetyoolo, I guess -- till'n it stahps makin' sense.
                      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792934].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author DABK
              You are so right about patience but I have been out of it for at least a decade.

DABK,

Yes, I should have mentioned it.

The clients wife, husband, partner, relations, the 9th cousin twice removed may well have a bash at decimating an enhanced revenue creating Ad.

Would be no surprise if the clients dog chewed up the copy it didn't like.

I need to take a deep breath and realize they were "trying" to assist. And diplomatically point out the difficulties.

Worse than the relatives (and dog) are "Copywriting Committees" - when everybody in the client's organisation suddenly believes they can write extraordinary copy.

Again, it takes extraordinary patience, tact and tolerance to put things right.

Steve
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792853].message }}

On the downside -

In fairness some Agencies will appreciate your "advanced" skills and compensation can be very worthwhile.

Steve
          All excellent advice.

It all comes down to 'what problem are you solving'

again...'what problem are you solving?'

once again...'what problem are you solving?'

Buyers only buy things that solve a problem.

I've had people try and argue with me that not everything someone buys solves a problem...great, then realize your product isn't worth advertising.

I don't have a big problem with ad agencies getting awards...

it's how they attract customers.

But, those awards they get usually don't do much for the customer.

'Oh, that is cute...let's share this 3 million times...

that doesn't equal sales.

99.99% of your time should go into researching what problem you're solving.

Once you've lived in the shoes of the prospect having that problem, your sales piece will be a snap.

I see copywriters hung up on headlines and openers and...

live in your prospects' shoes. Be there. Live there. Get a one-on-one experience, and your promotions will write themselves...

plus, you'll learn the secret to make a fortune that most only dream about.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792807].message }}
  • While we all marvel at the powah of AI to perform spooky stunts with Scarlett Johannnsson's more vocal folds, we must nevah diminish (an' must always exalt) the miracle of hooman creation & interaction.

max5ty's offah is a prime example of this natchrlly flowin' generosity between people, an' already we seen freely offahed viewpoints growin' this initial seed inta a cool discussion.

Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

Always, we can pull sum transformational magic to make the world a bettah place.

Without this urge to embellish the known an' ascend to noo heights of dinkiness, we all woulda jus' kept draggin' our knuckles on the floor shortly aftah we crawled outta the ocean as proto-hooman fish fiends.
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792687].message }}
      Originally Posted by Princess Balestra View Post

Always, we can pull sum transformational magic to make the world a bettah place.

I realize what happens these days is a lot of people use AI when they write a promotion. Or, they'll run their piece through AI to try and improve it.

I don't have a problem with AI...I use it myself for some things. I think it's a great advancement in technology. But I don't think it has the power yet to give you a million-dollar promotion and here's one reason why...

you need 'a big idea'. Something that hasn't been used. Something completely new.

I'll see someone trying to sell a book and their promotion will go on and on about the book and have no big idea.

Buyers want new. They want something that grabs them and shakes them.

I read something the other day I thought was comical...

a copywriter was saying nobody ever goes to their kitchen cupboards, opens them, and says 'Honey we need more newsletters'...if you stop and think about the meaning and dynamics behind that statement it makes a lot of sense.

Anyway...

I have an article I had bookmarked that explains the big idea better than if I went on for several paragraphs to explain it:

https://www.earlytorise.com/the-big-idea/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792728].message }}
  • Max,

You are 100% bang on correct (I could have hyperboled this by saying 1000%, but 100% is the right answer).

As copywriters we'll only be successful if we can "solve problems."

Often as not the problem is obvious - but not always.

Sometimes the prospect/client/ customer doesn't or refuses to "see" the problem.

Or the full extent of it.

Or can't envisage how bad it can get.

And it's not all that unusual for them to be completely oblivious to the "problem."

But us here copywriters have a toolbox that can fix all this.

With that special compartment of "Big Ideas" to help us do it.

Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    Well i think a big reason why people not succeding its their limiting beliefs
    For example if you had a hard childhood where your family has very poor or you had many trauma as a child
    Then the subconstient mind its programed in a negative way and its not easy for you to make money and your mind will sabotage you to keep the programs from childhood
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11792857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlisonMcCants
    If you ask me, I will only recommend that you keep trying. If you stop trying, then it is a issue. But it should be worth trying.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11793747].message }}
    • To affirm what Mss McCants stated -

Go to YouTube and type - "Go All The Way" by Charles Bukowski.

It applies perfectly to copywriting.

Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11793915].message }}

To affirm what Mss McCants stated -

Go to YouTube and type - "Go All The Way" by Charles Bukowski.

It applies perfectly to copywriting.

Steve
        While I applaud Ms. Bukowski's work ethic, as yr natchrl Princess, I would wanna seek a smoochiah path.

Bcs don't copywritin' invite the endurahs (refrncin' Ms. B here) of the plannit to git more reward from their derision-mockery-isolation-scape?

Now YOU can commune with mebbe GOILS bcs'n you fixed up your teeth, fell in love withya own smile, an' invaded evry bar like the woist kinda PREDATOR ...

all thanksta

WHITE AF MIRACLE

the toothpaste of choice for cleah WINNAHS.

(cue sum sorta stampede)

Hey, but, yeah, steppin' back from the myootyooly advantageous illoosion, the battle for words outta ethah is prolly why the copywritah's plight amplifies what is gowin' on for most voices an' most dialogs anyplace:

how to meet up, thumbs up, an' step out togethah.

(gotta hope this contribyoots to the flow of wisdom so far, but I jus' eatin' strawberries an' mebbe they gone to muh brayinne. Hey, butchya all sentient creachers, an' I trust y'all to DECIDE.)
        Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11793927].message }}
        • Yea, it's always about the "right" words.

I remember Ted Nicholas (he must be the grandfather of direct response Ads) talking about Headlines which must extol a great product.

It went something like this -

"You are 17 words away from making an Ad work astonishingly well"

For decades I kept to the 17 word rule (excluding the pre head and subhead)

And then did some split tests.

The money invariably dips if I go over.

Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11793930].message }}

"You are 17 words away from making an Ad work astonishingly well"

Steve
            Sumtimes I 17 woids away from makin' LIFE ITSELF work astonshingly well.

Tellya, I such an abominable klutz, gotta figure how I walk in a straight line most days.

Thing is tho, succinctness, summary, praysee, an' alla that Strunk & White drilldownstuffs gaht practical valyoo beyond I JUS' LAZY.

Bcs evrywan frickin' lazy, before their finite mortal energies're compelled to FOLLOW WHATEVAH an' CONCLOOD SPECKTACKULAH 'bout all.

FFS that is what KINGS gotta do before they figured QUEENS an' then PRINCESSES said ... aw c'mon.

What is easiah without it is stoopid?

What is convenient without it is exploitatrive?

What is ANSA without subsequent (an' more difficult) questions?

Gotta follow this EZLY principled scootsy-to-fyootsy direction always, if'n you can.

Which is why I 17 heartbeats away always from schmucks wanna rip me for bucks an' the evidently propulsive smoochiestuffs upon which the culchrl history of evrywankinda has always thrived.

So, yeah, like I clarified way back for all kindsa objectin' loons here on WF ...

I am NAAAAAHT no prostitoot!

Jus' kinda dinky, yanno?

(btw, you don't see too many Bukowski, Olsen or Snyder villanelles out there. Too busy mansplainin' shit to be constrained by the beautifyin' corsets of the day, I guess.)
            Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11793996].message }}
  • THE QUAKIN'
    Inspired by Theodore Roethke
    & written by Princess Balestra

I cannot cook, and wreck my dinnahs so.
    How quick they fly from stomach or from rear!
    The hell are frickin' recipes, yanno?

My dinnah guests scream, "Crap! I gotta GO!"
    They retch, and wish the washroom door was near.

I watch for those beside me ... what they do.
    "Not on my blouse! Or in my goddamn hayer!
    The hell are frickin' household rules, yanno?"

But then it's me! The dumb self-poisoned cow!
    My stomach churns and grinds with brute despair.

Gaht no ideah now what is comin' through.
    For all now gathered. Mouth or derrière.
    So much for frickin' recipes, yanno.

We're quakin'. Almost ready. It is so.
    So much for ambiaaance an' atmosphere!
    The hell are frickin' recipes, yanno?
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11794185].message }}
  • One of America's finest poets.

Blended with one of their finest copywriters.

It's a fascinating combo.

Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11794263].message }}

One of America's finest poets.

Blended with one of their finest copywriters.

It's a fascinating combo.

Steve
      Beats mac & cheese, I guess.
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11794331].message }}
    Since this thread has morphed into a poetry thread...

I thought I would submit one:

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I'm a schizophrenic...
    and so am I

But anyway, in all seriousness...

a big secret of copywriting is to make your most impactful points rhyme.

Readers will remember something that rhymes more times than they remember a bland sentence.

I'm not saying make your whole piece a poem, just make the impactful points rhyme...

just one of the little secrets that the best copywriters know.

Also...

how many times have you heard someone recall some experience or moment they had in the past?

They'll sometimes say they have no idea why that moment sticks out so much.

The reason why it does is because there is a strong emotion attached to it.

The person may not always realize the strong emotion...but there was one.

Make your piece contain strong emotions.

Just my thoughts for today.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11794332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zheron zheron
    Qual melhor estratégia de venda para encapar?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11794525].message }}
  • Caaantent mebbe king,
    but cadence is kween.
    Gotta kiss up close
    to what born bitween.

*my princess poem for the day bcs mebbe ima naht rule now zackly but who says i cain't hinfluerance by subtahfyooge?*

feels turnsya onya heels, always.
    in retrospect, yeah mebbe you coulda hitchya head on that raptah an' died for want of teeth

close connectschwaahn = kiss
    throw out obstackyules = diss

tellya, we meandah buttween glorified certainty an' misrblist oblivion on a whim.

UNLESS ...

we kinda hangout zacklyso.

Gotta kiss up close
    to what born bitween.
    Caaantent mebbe king,
    but cadence is
    (ie actschwlly)

kween.
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11794557].message }}

Trending Topics